Sunday, December 28, 2008

Why Patrick Kane will be in the league forever

For most people, not just hockey fans, EA Sports' NHL 93 (I had 94, so I'm going with that image) is their first brilliant sports video game (Madden took a little while to get it's legs under it). One of the best teams, the Blackhawks, featured quality young players that ended up having (even still) long successful careers. Let's take a look at some of those studs:
Jeremy Roenick
Chris Chelios
Eric Weinrich
Keith Carney
Bryan Marchment
Tony Amonte
Ed Belfour

And yes, I'm aware that I'm the first person to ever call Bryan Marchment a stud. But the point is, thats a roster full of guys who had long careers in the league.

Here we are in 2008, getting ready to pop into 2009, and EA has done it again. NHL 09 is simply the best video game I've played in years. I got to bed at night dreaming about it. There are days in which I'm supposed to go to work, but instead want to call in sick. I created myself as a free agent, just to see who would need my services, and I was signed by the Flames. Because of this game, I hate the Flames less.
But that's not why you came. See, EA Sports released this piece of video gaming brilliance at about the same time the Blackhawks are stockpiling an impressive cast of youngsters. In 15 years, will we be dusting off the 360 and reminiscing about when these guys were young and still playing together?
Patrick Kane
Patrick Sharp
Jonathan Toews
Andrew Ladd
Duncan Keith
Dustin Byfuglien

Something to think about...

3 comments:

  1. Very good point. I think in 15 years they're going to be one of the best teams of this era or remembered for a dumb GM who broke them up.

    And then of course there's EA's plan of slowly converting all Americans to fans of Canadian teams. Getting drafted by the flames was only the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own NHL 2K9. I'm quite certain that if I read the instructions, I'd be much better at it than I am. I haven't played a sports-based video game before, so I can't even rely on previous knowledge. On the other hand, the Minnesota Wild did no worse with me in charge than they're doing otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved using the Nordiques in NHL 94. Sundin, Sakic, Steve Duchesne on the point, Stephane Fiset in the pipes. Oh, how I loved, and absolutely dominated, that game.

    But you're right about NHL 09. I too dream at night about that game.

    ReplyDelete