Thursday, November 6, 2008

Brits Have an Odd Definition of Sport

So I was over on the frontpage of the BBC earlier (don't ask) and I'm not quite sure how it happened... But someone goofed.

Last I remember, the 'Sport' section over in Britain was British for what we Americans on this side of the pond know as the 'Sports' section. Apparently, that's not the case anymore. Now, it means such things as:

  • Obama and Bush to meet next week
  • IMF cuts economic growth forecast
  • Bomb hits Pakistan tribal elders
But I digress. It's hard to criticize such a goof when I make similar errors every day. What I can do though is make friendly suggestions for other headlines in their Sport section.

With all the new attention these sports will recieve from the BBC website, I imagine we will see some changes in the sports world. Next week ESPN will announce plans to launch a new network, ESPN Old School, dedicated to serving the 55-75 demographic. The International Olympic Committee also chooses to add events in Blowtorch Housecleaning and a special 4x400 meter relay where competitors run while attached to rabid animals. The fun starts when the animals have to be handed off to teammates after each lap.

1 comment:

  1. When I read the title I figured you'd accidentally watched some cricket or something. Anyhow, rabid fox woman did actually make the proper news bit of the UK version of the Beeb site.

    ReplyDelete